Random DWJ discovery of the day

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 09:42:10 EST 2005

Minnow:

> I think there may be a fair amount of that bit of England in TMC.  It's
> fairly central, and the Berkshire Downs are a good sort of Heart Of The
> Country place by their feel.

I know what you mean, but even I (a still more extreme southerner) wouldn't
describe the Berkshire Downs as 'central'!

I think the heart of the England must be somewhere round York. The Pennines
are clearly a kind of spine, as has often been noted - and the Black Country
is a kind of nicotine-stained, tarry lung. Berkshire works out by my
reckoning somewhere in the groin area - and Swindon, by popular consent, is
Port Esquiline.

Charlie