Charles de Lint

Michael M Jones everbard at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 8 02:48:28 EST 2005

I'd suggest one of his short story collections: DREAMS UNDERFOOT, or IVORY AND THE HORN.  They're excellent collections,
and many of his signature characters were introduced and/or fleshed out in them, and his famous Newford setting is
really explored.  There's a real sense of innocence and magic that sometimes gets lost in the later books, where it seems
like everyone's seen a fairy. :>

JACK OF KINROWAN was a splendid omnibus reprinting of two of his earlier books, JACK THE GIANT-KILLER and DRINK DOWN
THE MOON, which are urban fantasies set in Ottawa. The first was a retold fairy tale, and the second was a sequel starring one
of the secondary characters.

BLUE GIRL is also very good, since it goes back to basics in a lot of ways.