Susannah Clarke, website, interview, story

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 21:12:42 EST 2005

Hi everyone,
            I've just been to this rather nice
Susannah Clarke website,
http://www.jonathanstrange.com/
(author of Jonathan Strange and mr Norrell.
There's a stonking story about the Duke of
Wellington, gave me the proper shivers!
http://www.jonathanstrange.com/copy.asp?s=4&id=10

SC is another one who likes Emma, perhaps I will
read it (for those who do not know, I do not like
Jane Austen, but I am begining to see some value
in reading her. At least there are not very many
books). I am pleased to see she also likes
Charles Dickins, who I admire very much. I have
just slogged my way through The Old Curiosity
Shop, for the sake of completeness. FWIW I think
Florence Dombey to be even more sickening in her
forebearance than Nell, her father didn't even
have the excuse of losing his wits.

I didn't mean to ramble away from Susannah
Clarke, she says this:

<It seemed to me that you make magic real by
making it a little prosaic, a little difficult
and disappointing — never quite as glamorous as
the other characters imagine. As one of the
characters says in Strange & Norrell: "Magic! Do
not speak to me of magic! It is just like
everything else, full of setbacks and
disappointments." >

That's almost something Gabriel de Witt would
say.

=====
Ven