Random DWJ discovery of the day

Verity Cinnabar cen at shareable.org
Fri Mar 4 10:26:15 EST 2005

Paul Andinach:

> My random DWJ discovery of the day is: Oxfordshire.

> That is, I've suddenly realised that several of her books are set
> there. I noticed last time I re-read 'Power of Three' that there's a
> signpost on the Moor pointing to Oxford, and today I noticed that the
> town where Cat and Gwendolen grew up is near Oxford too. (Chrestomanci
> Castle, on the other hand, appears to be in Gloucestershire.)

er, and Polly becomes a student at Oxford (_Fire & Hemlock_). I can't recall
offhand if the particular college is identifiable, but think not. DWJ herself
has academic connections here, not limited to lectures/classes taken by an
Inkling or two. I'm not quite sure where the Ruskin erasures come in her
personal timeline (minnow, help!). I think it was at the end of WWII when
paper was short, and she started erasing ugly blocky pictures of natural
subjects - all signed with Ruskin's personal monogram - to make room for
early writings, so DWJ was probably still a child at the time. Did they
come from a cache in the loft which she discovered?

My random DWJ discovery of yesterday was her contribution to the
Indescribablyboring's list of Great Literary Characters. DWJ chooses

>EMMA
>Jane Austen's Emma is so very human. She is always plunging into such
>embarassing mistakes - and yet they're the mistakes one longs to make
>oneself, like telling the tediously garrulous Miss Bates to shut up.
>And, bless her, she is truly ashamed when she does, because she is
>actually very nice. Nicer than I am by a long way.

Each author is credited with one of their books. DWJ's credit is for
_Conrad's Fate_. China Mieville's is _King Rat_ for some odd reason
(he picked Jane Eyre, so his latest novel _Iron Council_ would have
been a more sensible choice). Michael Marshall (Smith) picks God, so
I'd have used _One of Us_ as his authorial credit, but it was his
last MMS book, whereas _The Lonely Dead_ is the latest MM offering.
My rationale? The MMS title references a song, _God is One of Us_.

VC