Random DWJ discovery of the day

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 10:24:56 EST 2005

Also, as Meredith pointed out on her website review of the Merlin Conspiracy, that book seems to draw on the landscape around the Uffington White Horse and Wayland's Smithy. I think a key text here (to be discussed "at length" in my forthcoming critical book!) is DWJ's essay on Tolkien, where she talks about his use of the very same Oxfordshire features, including the Ridgeway, which she identifies with the road from the Shire to Rivendell. (I'm reading LOTR to my son at the moment and have just reached the Barrow Wights - brr!) She also reckons the view of the fields from White Horse Hill inspired Lewis Carroll's chessboard in Through the Looking Glass - quite plausible, IMHO.
I also seem to remember the The Ogre Downstairs is based on a house DWJ used to live in in Oxford, but I may be wrong about that.
Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/