hardcover vs paperback

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue Mar 1 06:49:50 EST 2005

>> I think the hardcover vs paperback argument has caused publishers to
>> miss the point.
>
> I suppose you mean they haven't given a thought to the idea that if
> books are going to go out of print in a matter of weeks, their
> customers might quite like to have each copy they bought remain in one
> piece for as many as two or three readings, since they won't be able
> to replace it.

Well, yes, that's another way of looking at it.

I was thinking more along the lines that if I pay more money for a
hardback book, it is mainly for increased durability.  Better covers
help, and better paper too, but not if they are let down by a binding
that is no better than a paperback, but which is required to support
more weight.  Which I suppose comes to much the same thing in the end.

>> Who's going to join me in a campaign to ban glue-bound hardbacks?
>
> Is that "perfect" binding, aka "random-number generating device"?  I'm
> busy resenting having to pay in excess of thirty quid for "perfect
> bound" print-on-demand academic paperback texts that fall apart.  What
> I wonder is what justification there ever was for calling this ratty
> process "perfect" *anything*, and I don't want any excuses about
> paper-sizes, I think it was just a con from day one.

Well, having to work with such books is a perfect bind ;-)

Philip (who got Conrad on Saturday and finished it for the second time
last night.  Yay!  Even though it's a glue-bound hardback.)

PS OTOH I had a paperback with a stitched binding, which had fallen to
bits.  I took it to a bookbinder to rebind. He made no attempt to put
the pages into a sensible order (to do him justice, they are not
numbered, so it would have been quite a task) but put it into a hard
cover as if it had been a paperback in good condition: punch two holes
right through the book near the spine and poke thread through them.
Gah!

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432