Howl's heart

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Jun 29 00:17:15 EDT 2005

On 28/6/05 10:51 AM, "Paul Andinach" <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> While we're on the subject of the poem, do people think the third
> verse ("Even the good woman is untrue") was included in the curse?
> Obviously it didn't happen during the book (we're all glad for
> Sophie's sake, I'm sure), but might it be one of the things that had
> already happened? (And would this explain Howl's attitude to women, or
> is he just a jerk?)

This is interesting--this whole discussion about Howl's womanising. I don't
take it all that seriously, myself--I always assume there's more rumour and
hearsay than fact to it, and that maybe Howl is using it as a bit of a front
for other activities. Mind you, I found myself nodding in agreement with
Minnow's observation that reading Howl aloud forces you to slow down and not
miss any detail--the book is so dense with plot and everything else that
every time I read it I'm sure I've missed something!

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine