Poetry appreciation (was Re: Howl film)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 27 20:51:50 EDT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Judith Ridge wrote:

[spoiler space for 'Howl's Moving Castle']

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

> While I am here, I wonder if anyone has any theories on why the
> Witch of the Waste chose the Donne poem as Howl's curse--or did Miss
> Angorian choose it, given her connection to "our" world. Any
> thoughts? Did I miss something?

I think basically it was just that it fit: remember that Howl has
already done about half the impossible things in the poem even before
the curse sets in, which would help provide momentum to cause the
other half to happen.

While we're on the subject of the poem, do people think the third
verse ("Even the good woman is untrue") was included in the curse?
Obviously it didn't happen during the book (we're all glad for
Sophie's sake, I'm sure), but might it be one of the things that had
already happened? (And would this explain Howl's attitude to women, or
is he just a jerk?)

Paul
--
"Neil said, 'It's a poem,' in the same way most people would say,
 'It's a dead rat.'"