a few thin

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Jun 19 04:16:30 EDT 2005

Hi Katie,
Sorry for the latish answer, I've been away.
Many classic English-language picture books are readily available in Hebrew.
Specifically, "Where the Wild Things Are" and several of the Eric Carle
books should be quite easy to find; a few Leo Leoni books have been
translated but are mostly out of print; I don't think Tomie de Paola has
been translated and I don't know of "Harry and the Dirty Dog". Other
translated-from-English authors that are quite popular in Israel are Dr.
Suess, Shel Silverstein, Julia Donaldson ("The Gruffalo") and Ian Reese
("Olivia"); if you know where to look you can sometimes find copies of
"Madeleine", the "Little Bear" books, "Curious George" (horrible
translation) and others which are likely to be familiar. Just walk into any
bookstore - the big chains are "Steimatzky" and "Tzomet Sfarim" - and head
for the children's section; most bookstores will probably have a salesperson
who can assist in English.
Will you yourself be in Israel? If so, you are more than welcome to contact
me. And enjoy your visit!

Gili