Utterly OT: origin of a phrase?

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Wed Jun 15 16:02:39 EDT 2005

On 15/6/05 20:13, "Irina Rempt" <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 June 2005 20:40, Colin Fine wrote:
>
>> The idea surfaces also in David Lindsay's "A Voyage to Arcturus",
>> where there are two more primary colours, 'jale' and 'ulfire' (IIRC).
>> I think there are two sets of primary colours, and red is in both
>> sets.
>
> And in a Star Trek novel I forget the title of, possibly by Diane Duane,
> in which the Klingons don't see red but do see two distinct colours in
> what we call ultraviolet: amarklor and kalish.
>
>    Irina
But surely all these are colours found in nature, just not Earth's?

"A colour not found in nature" implies to me one of those chemical colours
that no self respecting plant, animal or rock would display. Perhaps one of
the new dyes discovered in the 19th century.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com

School Librarians Network is a forum where UK school librarians (and MROs
and support staff) can exchange news, views and ideas and give each other
mutual support.