Utterly OT: origin of a phrase?

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 04:12:35 EDT 2005

 I'm looking (purely as a matter of personal
> interest) for the origin of
> the phrase "a colour not found in nature".

The concept, though not I think the phrase, is there in Francis Godwin's *Man in the Moone* (1638). His hero, Gonzales, finds that the lunar inhabitants make much use of a new primary colour unknown on earth, and which he is consequently wholly at a loss to describe. I've got a photocopy of that book somewhere in my office, and could probably get the exact reference given time and a well-trained sniffer dog.

HTH,

Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: