Servants on Tap?

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jun 14 18:23:20 EDT 2005

Charlie wrote:

>Reading Minnow's account of Rosa made me realise just how normal it is in
>fiction for beloved nannies/retainers to subordinate their own lives,
>families etc, to those of their employers.

Maybe it's something that used to happen quite a lot and is therefore
reflecting real Life (OMT)?  I'm not sure that doing what one wants to do
and going where one wants to go with people one wants to be with is exactly
"subordinating oneself", though.

>The only exception I can think of is Ole Golly in *Harriet the Spy*, who
>moves out about halfway through the book to get married. (The cook who
>marries the burglar in *The Phoenix and the Carpet* wasn't half beloved
>enough to count.)

"She was a good cook, as cooks go, and as cooks go, she went."

(yes yes yes I know that was a different cook.)

Minnow