Ballet Shoes (was RE: DWJ sans frontiers)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 13:09:13 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/14/05 4:36:39 AM Central Daylight Time, Minnow writes:

> The word "let" there sums it up: the decision was Nana's, not Sylvia's,
> evidently.  It's hard to think of someone as a servant when you're an
> orphan and she's known you and been in charge of your life since before you
> can remember!  It's clear that "servant" or not, Nana is the matriarch, and
> it is her decision on matters that is the final word, really.  Sylvia may
> be the nominal head of the household, but she defers to the senior woman
> always.

This reminds me that I was thinking the other day that there was something
about C.S. Lewis's early life with Mrs. Moore that reminded me of the way single
women often tended to live then (not that it doesn't happen now, too) --
ending up in slightly peculiar dependent relationships. Technically, Lewis could
be considered the head of the household. He paid the rent (or most of it -- I'm
thinking now of the period when he was a student or a young don, in the
published diaries). But Mrs. Moore was "mother" and ran things. I'm still trying to
tease out exactly what I find "feminine" about all this (Lewis's own feelings
about the differences between men and women keep getting in the way here).

Helen Schinske