Servants on Top

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jun 14 09:29:52 EDT 2005

 > There is also one which was explicitly mentioned in something I read
>yesterday... I think it was an Agatha Christie short story. The Old
>Retainer syndrome, which I think is different from 2 or 4 - the master
>can't do anything that Nanny wouldn't like, not because she has a hold
>on him or because he is dim but because she brought him up from a baby.
>It relies on the hero being nice and not wanting to hurt the servant's
>feelings. Besides Christie, Heyer has quite a few trusted grooms who
>boss the heroes and maids who boss the heroines.

And vice-versa, of course. :)

The flourishing home of Old Retainer Syndrome is Barsetshire, of course,
where nannies, paid companions, and estate agents (not to mention maids
and their Children of Shame) seem to run 80% of the county families. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't want to be anything other than what I've been trying to be
lately...I'm tired of looking 'round rooms wondering what I gotta do
Or who I'm supposed to be/ I don't want to be anything other than me."