DWJ sans frontiers

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 18:32:44 EDT 2005

--- Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, June 10, 2005, at 04:15 PM,
> minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
> > Early 1960s in southern England I remember
> anaesthetic for serious
> > dentistry being introduced, but not on the NHS.
> My mother tried to
> > avoid
> > having it if she could, because she preferred
> pain-at-the-time to the
> > feeling when it stopped being numb and reckoned it
> wasn't worth the
> > cost in
> > her case, but she paid for me to have it because
> my teeth were so bad
> > and I
> > was so unhappy about going to the dentist.
>
> I had a filling done in Sheffield in 1965 -- private
> pay -- and the
> dentist
> gave me aenesthetic, not that I would have let him
> near me if he hadn't.
> When he started working, I informed him that it
> _hadn't worked_ and he
> gave me another shot, which did work.
>
> My mother scorned local aenesthetics for dentistry.
> Oooof.

My dentist in the early '60s used anaesthetic,
administered by many, many, needles (he never seemed
to find the right place) which ultimately were only
partly effective. I suspect that it was just all those
needle jabs making you so used to pain that a filling
seemed only minor in comparison. I can remember
feeling very happy when I went for an appointment in
about 1964 and found out he had died. It was 1973
before I went to a dentist again, in which period
dentistry had changed somewhat. Fortunately my teeth
were fine.

Jon