DWJ sans frontiers

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Jun 11 09:43:23 EDT 2005

On Friday, June 10, 2005, at 04:15 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Early 1960s in southern England I remember anaesthetic for serious
> dentistry being introduced, but not on the NHS.  My mother tried to
> avoid
> having it if she could, because she preferred pain-at-the-time to the
> feeling when it stopped being numb and reckoned it wasn't worth the
> cost in
> her case, but she paid for me to have it because my teeth were so bad
> and I
> was so unhappy about going to the dentist.

I had a filling done in Sheffield in 1965 -- private pay -- and the
dentist
gave me aenesthetic, not that I would have let him near me if he hadn't.
When he started working, I informed him that it _hadn't worked_ and he
gave me another shot, which did work.

My mother scorned local aenesthetics for dentistry.  Oooof.