DWJ sans frontiers

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Jun 11 09:38:45 EDT 2005

On Friday, June 10, 2005, at 12:56 PM, deborah wrote:

> I was an adult before I knew one could ask for anesthetic for a tooth
> drilling, and by that time, I'd had about 12.  I also had an
> orthodontist who shaved down my canines without anesthetic and without
> asking.  Honestly, I had doctors as a child who'd have gotten along
> great with the Time of the Ghost parents.
>
> Keep in mind I'm a 31-year-old middle class American, so we're not
> talking about the distant reaches of history or anything.

Hmmm.  I was a child in the 50s and one of the very first times I
asserted myself with an adult was when I told my dentist that he
had to give me novacaine if he was going to drill.  There had been
too many times when he told me it wouldn't hurt and it _did_.

Also, Charlie, on one occasion I had to have an extra tooth
removed and they were going to use gas.  I was quite scared
of it and managed to get them to give me novacaine
instead.  As it turned out, it was a smart thing to do.  My brother
had a tooth out at the same time under gas, but his started
hurting lots sooner than my novacaine wore off.

I've had a lot of dental work done under local aenesthetics, which
I prefer, and which is now a good thing, since now general
aenesthesia is quite complicated for me for medical reasons.