DWJ sans frontiers

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Jun 10 14:56:20 EDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
|Minnow said...
|>
|> Well, there *was* anaesthetic, though it tasted absolutely vile and wore
|> off very fast and the needle used to insert it was huge and painful.  I
|> reckoned I had been deserving, but the reward was unexpected.  Usually it
|> was 6d per tooth, and at that I was a lot better off than Pete in *The Big
|> Six* who got thruppence a tooth.
|
|You got anaesthetic?  Wow!  Mother tells horror stories about fillings and
|extractions involving an upright chair and no anaesthetic and having to be
|sat upon.  (This would be probably mid-1950s, in Northern Ireland.)

I was an adult before I knew one could ask for anesthetic for a tooth
drilling, and by that time, I'd had about 12.  I also had an
orthodontist who shaved down my canines without anesthetic and without
asking.  Honestly, I had doctors as a child who'd have gotten along
great with the Time of the Ghost parents.

Keep in mind I'm a 31-year-old middle class American, so we're not
talking about the distant reaches of history or anything.

-deborah
--
"The doctors guaranteed the treatment would fry the fairy clean
out of him. But all it did was make him bonkers every time he