DWJ sans frontiers

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Jun 10 10:39:27 EDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Paul Andinach wrote:
|I am relieved: the inflationary scale suggested by the idea that 6d
|was ever too much to spend on sweets was giving me the heebie-jeebies.
|(By way of comparison, when I worked at a snack bar in high school
|6c would get you three sweets if you were lucky.)

I think my basis for appropriate prices for things has been forever
thrown off by that scene in _All of a Kind Family_ when two of the girls
(Gertie and somebody, maybe?)  go candy shopping with a penny and buy
half of penny's worth of this and a quarter penny's worth of that, and
managed to go home with a big bag of crackers that they eat all night.

-deborah
--
In plain then, what forbids he but to know,
Forbids us good, forbids us to be wise?   -- Paradise Lost