DWJ sans frontiers

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jun 10 08:04:03 EDT 2005

Ros:

>You can buy 'toasted muesli' here. I wonder if that's the same as
>granola? Toasted muesli is also sweetened, I think. I don't recall
>anything on the supermarket shelves called granola, so maybe toasted
>muesli is our version.

Interesting.  I don't think sweetened or unsweetened actually makes
the distinction: AFAIK the brand of muesli you'd find most on
supermarket shelves here is Alpen, and the 'normal' version of that
(i.e. not the 'no sugar added' version) is wildly sweet - especially
as you get down to the bottom of the pack, where all the sugar and
powdered milk has settled.  Yeurg.

I've never actually had 'proper' muesli though - isn't that supposed
to be made ahead and the oats soaked?  And with chopped fresh apples,
rather than dried fruit?  I answer myself:
http://travel.independent.co.uk/europe/western/story.jsp?story=614699
(bottom of the page, in the unlikely case of anyone caring to check).

Poor old muesli - seems a fairly innocent food to have developed such
a burden of 'meaning'.  At least the dreadful Joanna doesn't serve
it. I just checked - and noticed that 'porridge' wasn't changed to
'oatmeal' for the US ed. of _Fire and Hemlock_.  (It's wrt the
carpet, not breakfast.)

Hallie