DWJ sans frontiers

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jun 10 01:15:37 EDT 2005

> >>Actually, one can scratch a CD without even working at it.  My CD of The
> >>Mission's greatest hits is scratched to hell and back and won't play
> >>properly, and I've *no* idea how it got that way.  Very irritating.
> >
> >It may have something to do with its age. When they taught us about
> >preservation of electronic data on my archives course, I learnt that it is
> >recommended that data on CDs should be copied onto a new one every 10
> >years.
> >This is just in case, because nobody knows yet just how long CDs will
> >last.
>
> Nice theory, and may well be the case in general.  But I'd only had that
> particular CD for two or three years when the scratching turned up...and I
> have older (*much* older, in some cases) CDs which are still fine.  Maybe
> it was just a duff disc.

Believe me, it's quite easy to scratch a CD. I'm insanely good at doing
this to the ones in my car, so they generally stop playing properly
before they've had a chance to metamorphize into The Best of Queen
albums. (Unfortunate, since I could really use a Best of Queen album but
can't bring myself to buy one since reading *Good Omens*)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers