Conrad's Fate (at last)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 8 11:08:54 EDT 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 liril at gmx.net wrote:

> Spoilers for LoCC (do we need them, too?)

> Hmm. I've been thinking about this, too. But Millie is and stays in
> Christopher's world "bodily" in the end (and arrives there bodily in
> the first place, too). And Tarcoy is "bodily" in the wrong world and
> travels astrally from there, doesn't he? So the rules stated in CF
> should aply to them. Er. That was probably what you were saying,
> Paul?

Er. I *think* so.

> To save my post - maybe Millie's leaving behind of a live and
> Tarcoy's leaving behind his soul make the difference?

Except that they both get them back at the end.

Perhaps *that's* the key: maybe, even when you travel bodily, you
leave some part of yourself hooked up at home, so that you gradually
unravel if you stay away too long. But when the Dright gave Tacroy to
Christopher, he gave him even the anchoring bit, so that from then on
Christopher's world was Tacroy's home; and Millie, ...um.

I'm sure I'm right about Tacroy, anyway, even if I have the detail
wrong: he doesn't have to worry about being away from home because
Christopher's world is his home now, ever since the Dright let him go.
Probably the Dright wouldn't let him go back to Series Eleven now even
if for some bizarre reason he wanted to. (There's still the question
of how he was all right up until then, though; I suspect that the
Dright did something to him. Or possibly just growing up in the world
did something to him by itself.)

Millie's situation is more complicated. Perhaps, when Chrestomanci or
whoever went to retrieve the life she used as an anchor, he did
something to transfer her citizenship to 12A - but if they know how to
do that, why imply to Conrad that there's nothing to be done about it?
(Obviously, they *wanted* Conrad to go home, and rightly so, but I
can't see them lying to him about it.)

Having done all that rambling, it occurs to me that perhaps, after
all, it's as simple as home being where the heart is. Tacroy and
Millie may have been born in other worlds, but their homes are in 12A;
Conrad's home, however long he is away from it, is still in the world
of his birth.

A homework exercise: What about the Travellers?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."