DWJ sans frontiers

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Jun 7 19:54:09 EDT 2005

On 7/6/05 11:41 PM, "Kyla Tornheim" <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

>> And then there was "parking lot" for "allotment", which was tried on for
>> *Black/Aunt Maria* -- and the title itself: "nobody in America would
>> understand about "Black Maria" being a card game", they said.  It isn't as
>> if it were explained in the first paragraph of the book, right?
>
> And there are never, ever book titles that are confusing, right?

I recall hearing that the title change from Black Maria to Aunt Maria in the
States was to avoid delicate racial issues. Also that the reference to the
police car would be missed (I'm right, aren't I, that police cars in the UK
have been called Black Marias? I don't watch The Bill...)

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine