Conrad's Fate (at last)

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 7 17:07:21 EDT 2005

>Paul wrote:
>> (I have an impression that there's a precedent in DWJ for people
>> taking powers in vain and then getting squished when the powers
>> actually show up, but I can't think where at the moment.)

Jennifer suggested variously:
>Time of the Ghost- although it's perhaps a bit unfair to say they are
>taking powers in vain, when as far as they know they made her up. Is there
>something of the sort in Power of Three, or am I misremembering? Something
>about the putting curses on in the names of the Powers? Hexwood, where the
>Reigners try to use the Bannus and it ends up using them?

Then Minnow ruminated:

In DWJ's work, isn't there very often an element of needing to understand
things before you can deal with them?  She has a side-message, quite often,
that knowledge is power, that knowing what you are doing is the key to
doing it right, and that rushing in without checking what is really going
on may be a Really Bad Idea.  Some of her books are practically devoted to
that: *The Spellcoats*, certainly, and *Cart and Cwidder*, are very
strongly themed about learning what talents and skills and abilities you
have, and then how to use them in order to do what is needed.  *The
Homeward Bounders*, too, and *Eight Days of Luke*, though those have a
slightly different take, in that the hero *must* be ignorant of his power
or he can't succeed... But the power comes with realisation, at the end of
each of those.

. . . And Howard from *Archer's Goon*.

Regards
Elizabeth.