Conrad's Fate (at last)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jun 7 11:19:01 EDT 2005

> I have the feeling that the entire bunch of Stallchester magicians weren't
> terribly sensible or competent people for all they were the Town
> Dignitaries.  If they had been they could have taken action against the
> misuse of magic at Stallery Mansion quite simply by reporting it to the
> relevant authorities years and years earlier.

Well, yes. But they didn't want to stop it, they wanted to control it
for their own uses.

> BTW, there's something at the end of the book that seems not quite to fit
> with the rest of Chrestomanci.  Conrad says he is told after six years at
> Chrestomanci Castle that "I must go home to Series Seven now or I would
> start to fade, not being in my own world".  This made me wonder slightly
> about all the other people who end up in worlds not their own in various
> books set in that series of worlds/universes/whatever we decided they were
> really, but apparently it's the manner by which you move or are moved from
> one world to another that makes the difference (only DWJ doesn't exactly
> explain it even in person, and if it's in the boks I can't find it).
> Christopher, for instance, might be able live in any of the worlds where he
> might-have-been, and the various Janets/Gwendolines are ok because they are
> replacing someone who ought to be there really.  Presumably there's some
> special case for Millie too: maybe being shunted by a goddess (or shunting
> when you are a goddess, or using someone else's spare life) makes it ok.
> And then there's Tacroy, who's been in the wrong world for ages, and I'm
> nor sure about him either.  Does anyone have either a passage that explains
> this, or a theory that would fit?

Yes, there's something about leaving a life in exchange. Tacroy's a
special case as he was transferred from one world to another, I think.
But if you don't have another life in the world of origin to anchor
yourself to, you won't be able to stay in a different world. It's in
Lives of Christopher Chant, I think.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers