Conrad's Fate (at last)

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 03:21:18 EDT 2005

Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Colin Fine wrote:
>

>>The bit of the plot I have most trouble with, though, is the Walker:
>>why on earth did Albert and the Circle tell him to summon the
>>Walker?  Judging by Albert's remarks at the end, the cork should
>>have been quite adequate for his purpose, (and Albert intended that
>>Conrad be executed for the act), so what did the Walker add to their
>>plan?
>>

>My impression, for what it's worth, is that Albert never expected that
>the Walker would actually appear; the summoning was just something he
>made up to justify the action he wanted Conrad to perform with the
>cork.

Yes, I did think of that possibility. But since everything they were
telling Conrad was a pack of lies, there was absolutely no need to tell
him something that actually worked, especially when it could work to his
advantage.
The only half-way satisfactory solution I've thought of is that The
Lords of Karma had already stepped in and were bending Albert & Co to
their Will. The trouble with that assumption is that it makes the whole
thing come out a bit predestined, minimising C&C's role.
Perhaps that's what "Conrad's Fate" means.

Colin