Conrad's Fate (at last)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 6 22:09:51 EDT 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Colin Fine wrote:

> The bit of the plot I have most trouble with, though, is the Walker:
> why on earth did Albert and the Circle tell him to summon the
> Walker?  Judging by Albert's remarks at the end, the cork should
> have been quite adequate for his purpose, (and Albert intended that
> Conrad be executed for the act), so what did the Walker add to their
> plan?

My impression, for what it's worth, is that Albert never expected that
the Walker would actually appear; the summoning was just something he
made up to justify the action he wanted Conrad to perform with the
cork.

(I have an impression that there's a precedent in DWJ for people
taking powers in vain and then getting squished when the powers
actually show up, but I can't think where at the moment.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."