In which there's a Firefly, a Scarab, and a possible oddity - all OT

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jun 3 10:35:37 EDT 2005

Bettina:

>Concerning the possible odditiy:
>
>I checked with amazon.de, there seems to be a German translation, called
>"The Snake Bracelet" (at least I think it must be the same book from the
>summary that is given) and it seems to me the German version wouldn't have a
>London setting, as the names Joshie and esp. Jost van Roven don't sound
>English - but I'm curios now and will look for it in bookstores.

Thanks, Bettina.  I tried amazon.de too, but it didn't do me much
good, I'm afraid.  In this translation he's Josh(ua)/ Joshie Cope, so
there have clearly been some changes.

>ObDWJ: Hmmm. I remember discussing the name changes the old translation of
>Archer's Goon when I was new to the list. (Most notably Archer=Winston), but
>we couldn't figure the reasons out. Maybe there weren't any.

I'd forgotten that particular translation discussion, and was mostly
thinking of the 'crisp packet' to 'pretzel bag' or the like in
_Hexwood_, with respect to DWJ translation issues.  Not to mention
the 'translation' of the sexuality of the boys in the wine shop!

Hallie