dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #1021

Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 2 03:40:22 EDT 2005

"this bloke has what the
'comic' consideers to be a silly face/teeth/laugh/stammer/accent"

Oh, so is *that* what gurning means? Mouth like a muppet and a
propensity to grin? He's hardly the only doctor to do that, look at Tom
Baker.

When I compared him to Mordion I was thinking less physically (though
the tall and thinness could work) and more the demands of acting the
character, due to some similarity of temperament. Ie they can be happy,
but with an underlying trauma/sadness -> aloofness and ability to pull
the emotional 'Awww! Lemme give you a hug' response from an audience.

Aimee, a little bewildered about the whole 'gurning' mystery.