Servants in CF

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 16:53:29 EDT 2005

--- Juliette Curtis <juliette at harvestroad.com> wrote:

> The servants in Stallery Mansion wear striped brown
> and gold uniforms,
> like the stripes on a bee. Stallery Mansion could be
> seen as a hive,
> with huge numbers of workers who labour to support a
> small number of
> non-workers. Most of the family are drones whose
> only purpose (if you
> will excuse my crudity) is reproduction ie
> maintaining the family line,
> and this includes both male and female characters.
> But who is the queen?
> The butler? He cares only about maintaining the hive
> in its proper
> condition. The queen bee's only purpose is
> populating the hive, and the
> butler hires new staff and brings in the swarm of
> actors.....
>
> AFAIK, bees don't invade each other's hives so the
> incoming actors are
> not bees, unless you think of them as a reverse
> swarm: coming in to a
> hive instead of leaving it. Gabrielle de Witt et al
> could be wasps,
> invading a hive and destroying the bees --
> especially the queen
> bee/butler -- for their own purposes.
>
> I'm probably stretching this metaphor too far when I
> try to fit C and C
> into it. Some types of bees have queens that will
> enter another hive,
> kill the current queen and take over. C and C are
> instrumental in
> destroying the old queen but neither of them takes
> over. Instead, the
> hive/mansion is destroyed. Or could C and C be seen
> as wasps?

I see Conrad as more David Attenborough, although his
initial pupose was a waspish murder. Christopher is
some creature that lives in the hiving making the
other bees think it is a bee too, but with no
intention of harming the hive. I'm sure there are
insects that do this but I can't think of one. Putting
in his motive of rescuing Millie is probably stetching
the metaphor past breaking point.

Jon