In which there's a Firefly, a Scarab, and a possible oddity - all OT

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jun 1 14:46:16 EDT 2005

The Firefly is the t.v. show, which was
recommended by several on the list ages ago
(Melissa in particular maybe?).  It was never
shown here (Ireland), at least, and when people
insisted to Sherwood Smith on her blog that she
*had* to see it, I started checking around for
DVD price and availability.   $40 seemed to be
the going price, approximately, and then there'd
be shipping, so I was very pleased to find the
boxed set for £12.99 on Sendit.com (Blackstar as
was) - even with free shipping to UK and Ireland.
It took some doing to convince a very reluctant
older daughter to watch the pilot with me, but
she was immediately hooked, and together we
convinced the equally reluctant younger one to
watch, and we're now trying to limit our watching
to an episode a week to save it.  I'm not a big
Whedon fan otherwise, but love this. So this is a
thank you for the long-ago recommendation and a
source-tip, in case any one else around here is
interested.

_The Scarab_, moving somewhat closer to
topicality, is the third (and final - thank
goodness) installment in the Oracle sequence.  It
was supposed to be published mid-June, but is out
now, and I'm rejoicing heartily for having a copy
in all its lavender glory in my hands.  The best
series covers, among other things...

The possible oddity, for which I could even make
an ObDWJ, is in the book I'm currently reading,
_The Dream Merchant_, by Isabel Hoving.  The fact
that the book was translated from the Dutch is
buried rather well, and there's no author info on
back cover or inside cover, so I didn't notice at
all.  Right at the beginning of the book, the
main character's address is given as in Kentish
Town, London, (and he's offered a salary in
pounds).  When I was a good few chapters in I
went back and checked that it really was London,
as it didn't feel at all like an English book,
nor a London setting, though I didn't even think
what I meant by that.  It was only today when I
happened to Google the book that I noticed the
author was Dutch.   For all the many idiocies
like changing 'crisps' to 'chips', and pounds to
dollars and v.v., can the publishers possibly
have changed the location?   Or am I putting two
and two together and getting twenty-two, and has
the Amsterdam-dwelling author chosen to set the
book in England (not very successfully, IMO) for
a reason which isn't yet apparent?  Have you read
it, Irina?  I'm really enjoying it, btw, oddity
or no.

Hallie