Transcript of page 1

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Jul 28 16:03:01 EDT 2005

DIANA WYNNE JONES

Diana Wynne Jones says of herself:

When I was a small child, during World War II, I was evacuated to the
Lake District where I had some experience of Writers. Arthur Ransome
objected to the smaller children playing on the shore opposite his
houseboat and came majestically to complain. Beatrix Potter slapped my
sister for swinging on her gate. And I myself, being short of drawing
paper, found and rubbed out a stack of drawings by Ruskin. I have never
known how formative these experiences were. But perhaps this is why I
like children so much. I can never see a child in trouble of any kind
without marching in to help. But then I am not a proper Writer. When I
was at school I never got very good marks for English because they said
the things I wrote were too peculiar. I once wrote a poem aboutschool
dinners for the school magazine, graphically describing the
dreadfulness of them, and got into trouble not only with the English
mistress but with the Cookery mistress too - who put me in detention
for insulting food. At this stage, we were living in a village which
was full of people so extraordinary - several writers and a man who
went mad at full moon, for instance - that it is no good trying to put
them in a book. The other drawback to the place was that there were
almost no books to read. I think the main thing that started me writing
books was this and I wrote stories to read out to my sisters instead.
We also did numerous other peculiar things, such as haunting the
churchyard dressed as ghosts, walking on roofs, and sitting outside the
pub counting the number of times American soldiers came out to be sick.
But after that I didn't write much, because of being educated, which
was a disturbing experience.

(to be continued)

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 28-Jul-2005