Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Jul 27 10:48:06 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>
> > Well, this is where it gets interesting. Consider Millie. There's
> > some indication that when she is doing things 'as the Goddess'
> > there's a significant difference between that and just being Millie
> > doing magic.
>
> Does she ever actually do anything 'as the Goddess'? Her only actual
> official duty, that I can recall, was to put in an appearance at
> festivals to represent Asheth, which may well be entirely symbolic and
> not actually involve actually doing anything; and we're told straight
> out that Asheth never shares her power and that all the things she
> thought she was doing by Asheth power she was really doing by her own
> innate ability.
>

> Paul

I suppose it depends on what one means by "doing things."  I just read
yesterday the part where she asks Asheth for a portent to show her what's
going to happen to her after she stops being the Goddess.  Christopher
suggests that she do this assuming that Asheth won't say anything, but
Millie comes back to tell him that she's agreed to give her a portent.
Millie had to do a lot of wrangling to convince her to give the portent by
midnight that night - it takes a lot of time, because it involves pulling
the strings of Fate.  So Millie herself is not doing anything, but she is
convincing Asheth to do something, and it certainly sounds rather
different from Millie's enchantress magic.

Although I suppose one _could_ be contrary and make the argument that,
actually, Millie just makes the whole portent thing up without realizing
it -  after all, Christopher realizes later that she had been pretty
convinced that they were going to sacrifice her all along.  She seems
to be panicking, and, from the sound of that passage, Bethi, the cat who
dies, is already pretty weak before Millie asks Asheth to do anything.  So
perhaps Asheth really didn't do anything.

						---Kyra

---
"Give me the city.  Give me the sea.  Give to me everything I need."
			---Jarvis Cocker (Pulp), "Love is Blind"