Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jul 25 08:36:55 EDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

> I just remembered something - don't know if anyone has brought it up.
> Chrestomanci is a "Christopher", which is a Christian name (Christ-carrier).
> So either Chrestomanci's family were Christians, or Christianity is
> culturally widespread enough for people to have names like that anyway.
> (Like how people called "Diana" are usually not believers of old Roman
> religions.)
>
> Katta

Well, Christopher did go to church often enough as a child that he thought
his mother expected him to be a missionary.  I'm actually in the middle of
TLoCC right now.  It seems like it was in part his nursemaid who helped
him get the idea, though.

As another interesting note, when Christopher mentions Christmas to the
Goddess, she's heard of it as a Heathen festival.  Are there Christians
even in the Series Five of Asheth?  Or is she speaking about something
she's heard of from another universe?

					---Kyra

---
"Give me the city.  Give me the sea.  Give to me everything I need."
			---Jarvis Cocker (Pulp), "Love is Blind"