Sight restored (was: Christianity in the Chrestoverse)

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 20:01:04 EDT 2005

Otter Perry wrote:

>> in which her first interpretation of seeing people was that they looked
>> like trees.  Jesus had exactly this with one of his healing miracles,
>> iirc, and performed another to sort out the poor man's perceptions.  I
>> get the impression that R&M couldn't do the second bit - I hope the girl
>> doesn't end up like the man in the CS Lewis short story!
>

> Oliver Sachs did a very interesting piece about having sight restored.
> Our vision is the result of an unbelievable amount of experience and
> training, and even interruptions of a few years result in major problems.
>
> The chances of anybody actually being able to come up with "men like
> trees, walking" are exceedingly remote.

It's one of the things I remember Dan Galouye doing rather well in "Dark
Universe" - though I now think that they learnt too quickly.
  The people have no memory and hardly even any folklore about light or
seeing, so the viewpoint character's struggling to describe his
experiences are interesting. "The silent screaming" when he first
encounters light, and later when he does start seeing, his shock and awe
when he works out that this object he can 'see' is his own hand -
nothing had ever suggested that one might be able to see one's own body!

Colin Fine                      colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
				www.kindness.demon.co.uk
        "Don't just do something: Stand there!"