Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Jul 22 14:32:21 EDT 2005

Hallie said...

> Judith in reply to Dorian:
>
>>  > Why do you characterise Caprona as Renaissance?  Other than Italy
>> still
>>>  being little city-states (and I can't remember when or how or why it
>>> got
>>>  unified in our world), I can't think of anything to warrant that
>>>  description.  Could you explicate, please?
>>>

>>I don't have my copy of Magicians here at work, so I can't check up on
>>details, but I've certainly always thought of it as such. All those
>>Shakespearian overtones: Romeo and Juliet, even the title echoes Two
>>Gentlemen of Verona... And yes, the city states is part of it. I'm also no
>>doubt influenced by the cover of the edition I own, which has Angelica and
>>Tonino in clothing that evokes that period.
>
> I skimmed a bit over breakfast this morning, and the pen and piano in the
> Duke's study both seem to argue against Renaissance technologically, for
> all the Shakespearean notes.  And most of the clothes described are very
> much not-Renaissance, aren't they?

(The cover of my copy has a boy and girl in vaguely medieval dress!)

More details...cars aren't common, but they're not unheard of - Old Niccolo
looks into buying one after the disaster of the paper horses in the rain.
There's soup-powder.  There's mention of a stove in the kitchen.

> It's definitely another wrinkle to the whole question of how history is
> different and/or similar in this world, assuming it is the same world.

I'm pretty sure it is.

> I'm also interested in Judith's original point about the Catholicism in
> Magicians. Is there something that makes it seem specifically Catholic
> other than the Italian setting?  Angels and archbishops and cathedrals
> wouldn't necessarily be Catholic, but there might be details which were -
> it's a while since I've read it properly.

Hm.  We don't get any detail, really, on the interior of the Cathedral, so
we don't know if it has a Lady Chapel, stations of the cross, or confession
boxes (which would be give-aways for Catholicism).  I can't recall anyone
praying to any saints, either.  What about the aunt who cooks, and gets
upset when Benvenuto steals the steak?  Does she cry out to the Virgin?  I
can't remember, but it seems the sort of thing she might do, and if she
does, that would be an argument for Catholicism.

Dorian.