Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 22 07:52:08 EDT 2005

Charlie:

>I think there's a motor car too, somewhere. (I too am a bit hazy on
>the date of Italian unification - something to do with a biscuit,
>IIRC - but think it was sometime in the 19th century.) I share
>Judith's assumption that the world is Catholic, though, on the
>grounds that so many other things are Italianate that this seems a
>reasonable 'default' reading. On the other hand, in magical terms
>they seem to defer to the Brits (after all, Chrestomanci declares
>himself in that book to be 'first and foremost and employee of the
>British government') so who knows, maybe the same applies in
>religion?

I agree it's the automatic assumption, but was wondering just how big
an assumption it was.  After all, if someone in another country read
about the Archbishop in the Cathedral in Dublin, the assumption would
surely also be that it was RC, right?  (Which would be incorrect.)
But the idea of the state's deferring to England in religion is well
interesting, and gives all kinds of further possibilities, perhaps?
There was a Reformation and the church seen in Magicians is another C
of I (C of It?  Anglican, anyway).  Or no Reformation and the church
in England led a drift towards an Anglican-like still united
Christian church.  Or the different states are each choosing their
own brand of Christianity, though I can't remember whether that one's
possible.   Unification was 1861 btw, according to a quick Google.

Hallie