Christianity in the Chrestoverse

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 07:25:52 EDT 2005

Dorian:

> At god level (so to speak)? I would be inclined to think that the relevant
> text would be "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me." This doesn't, to
> my thinking, say that other gods don't exist. It just says that a follower
> of this god must not worship any others. So the god of the People of the
> Book is well aware that there are other gods in the world, just as real as
> he is. He's just not going to have his followers worshipping anyone else as
> well.

I'd go further and say that the commandment about worshipping other gods probably implies that there *are* other gods. I'm as far from being an expert on this as it's possible to be, but I've always understood this as an aspect of the way that Judaism developed over the 1800 years or so between Abraham and Christ, with Yahweh being seen first just the tribal god of Abraham - one amongst many, if possibly primum inter pares ('my god's more powerful than your god' being the theme of many of those early stories), while the monotheistic idea arrives only with the Babylonian captivity or thereabouts. At that point other gods have to be reassigned as demons or delusions.

The idea (which I think somebody mooted - sorry, I've been away for a couple of days and returned to find squillions of fascinating posts on this topic) that the Christian god might rule in Chrestomanci's world - or possibly throughout series 12 - while other gods rule elsewhere, is one I have trouble with. I just don't think the Christian god would settle for that. Besides, it would scupper his claim to have created the universe *ab nihilo* if it turned out to be but one branch on a much larger tree.

Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/