Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jul 20 16:23:58 EDT 2005

Kyra said...

>> We have no evidence from which to assume that other gods don't exist in
>> XII
>> B (or indeed, any of Series XII) - at least, not that I can think of.
>> Assorted non-Christian deities may well be in existence.  I could see the
>> Hindu pantheon, for instance, existing at least as much as the
>> Jewish/Christian/Muslim god.
> Yes, that was kind of my point.  If other things that can be called gods
> really exist, in a way that's known by at least powerful people like
> Chrestomanci, where do they fit in to Christian theology?

For ordinary humans?  Probably the same way things work in this world.
Assume they're false gods, and possibly try to convert their misguided
followers.

At god level (so to speak)?  I would be inclined to think that the relevant
text would be "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."  This doesn't, to
my thinking, say that other gods don't exist.  It just says that a follower
of this god must not worship any others.  So the god of the People of the
Book is well aware that there are other gods in the world, just as real as
he is.  He's just not going to have his followers worshipping anyone else as
well.

As for theology...I'd tend to think that humans in general don't know that
other gods than their own are real, so theology goes as theology goes here.
How rare persons such as nine-lived enchanters, who (presumably) know that
there are many real gods, reconcile that knowledge with their own personal
religions...well, that's up to them, really.

Dorian.