Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jul 20 15:54:40 EDT 2005

Philip replied to Minnow...

> Well, to start with, I think the operative word here is "seem".  We seem
> to be worshipping loads of different Gods, or even loads of different
> gods, but in fact we believe that there is only one God, and we just
> have different ideas about what he's like.

Not a Christian, but I agree with Philip here.  I'm inclined to think that a
lot of - most? - Christians will probably be very surprised when/if they
meet the Christian god face-to-face and discover how unlike their ideas he
is.

(Though I do like Minnow's conceit of a god with Multiple Personality
Disorder, induced by his worshippers!)

> But more importantly, the question is how, if Christians believe that
> there is only one God, do Christians in the Chrestoverse (I like that
> word!) reconcile this belief with their magical knowledge of beings such
> as Asheth (whom I always associate with Ashterah, by the way).
<snip>
> My own view, which I don't seek to impose on other Christians, or
> non-Christians, either on this list or in the Chrestoverse, is that
> Asheth and her kind are not gods and do not deserve to be worshipped.

My answer to that *particular* question would be that the one-god thing only
holds true for the world/universe you're in.  Which allows Asheth to be a
real deity in Millie's home-world.

Or maybe, since we know that gods can cross world boundaries at will (at
least to influence or act, if not to be worshipped), it could be that
specific gods have specific worlds/nations/peoples that they look after (I'm
writing a book at the moment involving this premise: "sure, other gods may
exist, but they're for other peoples.  *Our* god looks after *us*!").

> Incidentally, I have often wondered whether Millie's becoming a
> Christian was related to her early experiences with the Asheth cult:
> after a cult in which the goddess is immensely powerful, yet demands a
> human life every few years for no apparent reason, a religion that
> teaches of a God who became a human, and gave his life for our benefit,
> is either a refreshing change or a wonderful way of rebelling against
> her upbringing.  Or both!

Nice theory.  But do we know that Millie actually became a Christian?  Or
does she just go to church because it's expected of her in her position as
Chrestomanci's wife?

Dorian.