Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jul 20 15:25:23 EDT 2005

> Which would make for some pretty different history...it's said that the
> split happened when our world turned more toward technology and XII A
> turned more toward magic...I wonder if part of what caused the split was
> the emergence of the Inquisition in our world?  I can't see the Inquisition
> happening in a magic-oriented world (or not the way it did in our world, at
> least), which would change things like colonisation and the way the New
> World was dealt with at least somewhat.

Ok, I'm missing something. What about a magic-heavy world would
discourage persecution of differing brands of heresy, not to mention
converted Jews and Muslims who weren't really converted to Christianity?

Given the arm-waving among scientists (and among practitioners of
ceremonial magic) for that matter about theory, I would assume that a
Church office to standardize and control dogma would be encouraged by
the spread of magic.

Or are you thinking of the witch persecutions? The emergence of 'The
Inquisition' as a force of terror actually appears to be related to the
Spanish Inquisition, which had to do with muslims and jews, not witches.
The Roman Inquisition got all stuffed-shirt about Protestants.

Most of the witchfinding and witch persecution our universe in Germany,
England, Scotland and France seems  to have been more or less, ahem,
autonomous, and there were sporadic attempts by the Churches at least in
Germany to get rid of false witchfinders who were 'finding' witches
based on getting a slice of their property.

It's possible that an increase of magic might have lead to magical
psychotherapy (thus curing that strange rash of men believing their
phalluses had been removed) and aborted the problem, or that the office
of Chrestomanci was instituted at that time-- certainly there were
people even in our universe who believed that they were cursing other
people, and if they turned out to be real witches, there would be a very
strong and present need to do something about it. Thus instituting the
office of the Chrestomanci would probably replace certain functions we
historically think of as associated with religious authorities.

> On the other hand, I do, now that you mention it, wonder about the Church
> of England-ness of that service in "Charmed Life".  *Could* the Anglican
> church have developed so similarly in a world with magic and without the
> Inquisition?  I can't off-hand think of a reason that Protestantism
> wouldn't have developed, but there's the whole avalanche effect; once you
> change one thing, other things change, and I begin to wonder if XII A could
> really be so like our world.

Well, the Roman inquisition got it's big push from the existence of
Protestantism, and the idea that some cultures could have refrained from
splitting up the religion into different denominations by a change in
the 14th century seems unlikely. The rise of magic might well have
fuelled Protestantism, and religous wars fought with the help of magic
are a terrifying prospect.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase