Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jul 20 12:54:26 EDT 2005

Philip: (possibly crossing my last post in mid cyber space, so
apologies if I'm repeating myself!)

>In our discussion (Snipped), Hallie asked:
>
>>  So, would you see people in the world reading the Biblical accounts
>>  of miracles and thinking Christ was merely another magician then?
>
>On the one hand, why should this be the case any more than we believe
>the crackpots who say the Jesus did miracles with technology?  (e.g. the
>lot who think he was an extraterrestrial, or the person who "proved"
>that the death and resurrection were a simulated death with drugs,
>probably mandrake)

Well, for one thing, I for don't actually believe in extraterrestrial
appearances here, probably along with a fairly significant number of
other people, while magic was an uncontested reality in
Chrestomanci's world.  You didn't have to be a crackpot to see its
existence.  The point I was getting at was looking from the POV of
Christians at the time of the Chrestomanci books - roughly 1,400
years of reading the New Testament accounts of Christ's miracles as a
sign of his divinity - and then with the world's splitting off, a
certain proportion of those miracles being, as Charlie said, pretty
'humdrum'.   (OK, not really 1,400 years of reading as such, but you
get the idea!)  And I did say 'a sign', not the only sign, or the
most important point, but they are still an important sign of
Christ's divinity.

>On the other hand, the Tanith Lee quotation is quite useful, although I
>take a slightly different slant on it from Minnow.  It is not the
>miracles that make him Christ.  These are evidence, but it's his
>teaching about love _and his example of it_, that are important.

I think the Tanith Lee quotation is very interesting and useful to
your wider interest in religion in fantasy, but I don't think it says
anything to the question Charlie brought up, about the Christianity
seen in _Charmed Life_.  Tanith Lee obviously presented a way of
understanding Christ in the world of that book, but it doesn't seem
that there's anything analogous in the Chrestomanci books.

Hallie