Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jul 20 12:41:22 EDT 2005

> It's certainly true that raising people from the dead (and even more,
> rising yourself) isn't a common magical power in this or most magical
> worlds.  But as it's part and parcel of the other (more likely doable
> by 'normal' magic) miracles in the gospels, inseparable from Christ's
> divinity, it's hard to see how some of the miracles could be
> explained as everyday magic and some his divine nature.

Well, it would probably be the kind of thing they argued about in
divinity school, really. "Was this a miracle, or was it Christ revealing
his divine nature? Was this magic-as-parable?" I can imagine fat books
with lurid covers with titles like "Christ as Magician" and cults of
people with no magic talent at all who believe that if they pray hard
enough they will become magicians. Also gently dotty Benedictines who
have magic but don't believe they do... etc.

> It certainly does.  And that's just one of the holes which makes me
> more than a bit dubious about why Christopher and Millie are going to
> church anyway.  Unless it's no more than an excuse for the fun
> stained glass window scene.

Well, I would say they are going to church because that is What One Does
and besides Religion can be A Comfort to the Afflicted.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase