Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Jul 20 12:14:49 EDT 2005

In our discussion (Snipped), Hallie asked:

> So, would you see people in the world reading the Biblical accounts
> of miracles and thinking Christ was merely another magician then?

On the one hand, why should this be the case any more than we believe
the crackpots who say the Jesus did miracles with technology?  (e.g. the
lot who think he was an extraterrestrial, or the person who "proved"
that the death and resurrection were a simulated death with drugs,
probably mandrake)

On the other hand, the Tanith Lee quotation is quite useful, although I
take a slightly different slant on it from Minnow.  It is not the
miracles that make him Christ.  These are evidence, but it's his
teaching about love _and his example of it_, that are important.

Someone made a good point about the resurrection being something that a
9-lived enchanter could do.  On the one hand, had series XII split
enough by then to create people with several lives?  Even if it had, a
search for analogues of Jesus elsewhere in the series and/or related
worlds would clear that up.  In series X, for example, Millie had heard
of Christianity as a heathen religion practiced elsewhere in her world.

(Actually, if we consider that analogues need to be conceived but not
born, it's not difficult to postulate Mary getting stoned for adultery
in all the worlds but one; but in that one Joseph marries her anyway and
doesn't expose her).

> Even if they were saw the miracles done then as having happened
> before magic developed, it still makes Christ just a bit of an early
> developer, doesn't it?  A bit squidily like Native Americans seeing
> white men with guns and thinking them gods.

Only if the miracles are the sole criterion, again.  Jesus didn't have
much time for people who kept asking for signs instead of listening to
his teaching.

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432