Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jul 20 12:12:54 EDT 2005

Jadwiga:

>  > I agree that the point of Christ isn't the miracles, but they are a
>>  sign of his divinity nonetheless, and seen as such.   Most of the
>>  other people in the gospels perform healings and demonic
>>  de-possessions as followers of Christ, with his authority.  They're
>>  certainly not performed just by anyone who happens to be born with a
>>  commonplace, if not universal talent.
>
>Well, this is where it gets interesting. Consider Millie. There's some
>indication that when she is doing things 'as the Goddess' there's a
>significant difference between that and just being Millie doing magic.
>So, if the miracles were plain miracles in their world, they would be
>more obviously miracles to any observant magicians. There's no
>indication I can find that routinely raising the dead is a magical power
>in the Chrestomanci world. One can imagine atheists claiming that Christ
>was merely a nine-lived enchanter... and apologists pointing out that
>other magicians of that time period would clearly have noticed if that
>were so.

(One reason it may get interesting, around these parts, is that my
head may spin right off. ;))  My original question was in reply to
Philip's point about Christianity's having developed before the
worlds split off and magic in the Chrestomanci world's having
developed after.  (Or starting to develop and causing the two worlds
to split.)  So there wouldn't have been any other magicians around at
the time to have noticed.  I'm not trying to quibble over this - just
thinking it through.

It's certainly true that raising people from the dead (and even more,
rising yourself) isn't a common magical power in this or most magical
worlds.  But as it's part and parcel of the other (more likely doable
by 'normal' magic) miracles in the gospels, inseparable from Christ's
divinity, it's hard to see how some of the miracles could be
explained as everyday magic and some his divine nature.

>Also, magic is quite clearly a skill. So doing magic, especially very
>large scale magic, without pay, and combining it with religious
>teaching, might be more unusual than you think. :)

:)

>Our Universe's folklore is full of Evil Magician vs. Saintly Cleric
>stories, where the Cleric eventually wins out because his God (aka his
>backer) is stronger/better than the Evil Magician. On the other hand,
>the C. of E. in Chrestomanci's universe seems to be singularly
>ineffective. :)

It certainly does.  And that's just one of the holes which makes me
more than a bit dubious about why Christopher and Millie are going to
church anyway.  Unless it's no more than an excuse for the fun
stained glass window scene.

Hallie