Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jul 20 11:51:49 EDT 2005

> I agree that the point of Christ isn't the miracles, but they are a
> sign of his divinity nonetheless, and seen as such.   Most of the
> other people in the gospels perform healings and demonic
> de-possessions as followers of Christ, with his authority.  They're
> certainly not performed just by anyone who happens to be born with a
> commonplace, if not universal talent.

Well, this is where it gets interesting. Consider Millie. There's some
indication that when she is doing things 'as the Goddess' there's a
significant difference between that and just being Millie doing magic.
So, if the miracles were plain miracles in their world, they would be
more obviously miracles to any observant magicians. There's no
indication I can find that routinely raising the dead is a magical power
in the Chrestomanci world. One can imagine atheists claiming that Christ
was merely a nine-lived enchanter... and apologists pointing out that
other magicians of that time period would clearly have noticed if that
were so.

Also, magic is quite clearly a skill. So doing magic, especially very
large scale magic, without pay, and combining it with religious
teaching, might be more unusual than you think. :)

Our Universe's folklore is full of Evil Magician vs. Saintly Cleric
stories, where the Cleric eventually wins out because his God (aka his
backer) is stronger/better than the Evil Magician. On the other hand,
the C. of E. in Chrestomanci's universe seems to be singularly
ineffective. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase