Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jul 20 11:44:19 EDT 2005

 > Perhaps this is just a special case of the general problem of
>alternative worlds, which we have discussed on numerous occasions - but
>I'm bothered by the nature/existence/origins of Christianity in
>Chrestomanci's world. It seems to exist (i.e. they attend church in
>Charmed Life, and a standard C of E kind of affair it seems to be too),
>but how does Christianity fit into that world? In particular, the
>miracles in the Gospels will surely seem pretty humdrum from the point
>of view of a world where magic is commonplace, won't they?

Well, raising people from the dead is not exactly trivial, even in a
magical universe. :) Also, there's a generousity to the actions in the
Gospels that separates it from just plain magic.

Certainly people around CE 0 in our world believed magic was possible,
and they still thought the whole dying-and-reborn business was pretty
impressive. :) Not to mention the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.
(Someday, find a scholar of Judaism and ask him/her how Jesus of
Nazareth's reported actions fit into the political culture of the time
period in Israel. Fascinating.)

It helps if you have a solid grounding in more Christian mythologies,
such as C.S. Lewis and (to some extent) Diane Duane. "God reveals
Himself in many ways..."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase