Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jul 20 11:40:12 EDT 2005

Katta:

>  >So, would you see people in the world reading the Biblical
>accounts of miracles and thinking Christ was merely another magician
>then? Even if they were saw the miracles done then as having
>happened before magic developed, it still makes Christ just a bit of
>an early developer, doesn't it?  A bit squidily like Native
>Americans seeing white men with guns and thinking them gods.
>
>Or like how we look at Leonardo DaVinci...
>
>But then, the point of Christ is hardly the miracles - after all,
>the people *in* the gospels seem to think there are others who
>can perform miracles as well and who aren't divine.

I agree that the point of Christ isn't the miracles, but they are a
sign of his divinity nonetheless, and seen as such.   Most of the
other people in the gospels perform healings and demonic
de-possessions as followers of Christ, with his authority.  They're
certainly not performed just by anyone who happens to be born with a
commonplace, if not universal talent.

Leonardo Da Vinci is different, IMO, because one possible way of
showing genius is being ahead of one's time.  Had he claimed to be
either divine or a magician on the basis of the flying machines and
all, then our understanding of him as such would have been changed
dramatically by technology's catching up with him.

Hallie