Christianity in the Chrestoverse

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Jul 20 06:41:42 EDT 2005

Charlie propounded:

> Perhaps this is just a special case of the general problem of alternative
> worlds, which we have discussed on numerous occasions - but I'm bothered
> by the nature/existence/origins of Christianity in Chrestomanci's world.
> It seems to exist (i.e. they attend church in Charmed Life, and a standard
> C of E kind of affair it seems to be too), but how does Christianity fit
> into that world? In particular, the miracles in the Gospels will surely
> seem pretty humdrum from the point of view of a world where magic is
> commonplace, won't they? So, either magic only became commonplace later
> (which is unlikely, I think); or their Christianity and Bible are
> different from ours, at least in some respects; or there's a problem with
> DWJ's worldbuilding; or there's some other explanation I've missed.
> Any thoughts?

Hmm.  I don't think the Bible or the origins of Christianity can have been any different from our world, since XII B is supposed to be our world, and to have split off from XII A in the Middle Ages (14th Century, I seem to recall, but I'm not sure)

I think magic must have developed since the time of Christ, as technology did in our world.  Magic must have been pretty basic back then, just as technology was.  In the Middle Ages, our world started off on the technology road, and theirs on the magical road (as I gather from the history lesson in CL), splitting us into separate worlds.

This is a nice start on a subject that I'd like to study (one day!): doctrines of Christ in fantasy.  Leaving aside Christian fantasy like CS Lewis, you get some quite interesting views, like this one from "When the Lights Go Out" (Tanith Lee):

"Jesus was a magician, able to perform miracles, but what makes him Christ is his teaching and his superhuman capacity for love"

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

E.ON UK Trading Ltd, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

E.ON UK Trading Ltd is regulated by the Financial Services Authority to carry out investment activities.

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432