Christianity in the Chrestoverse

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 05:32:42 EDT 2005

Perhaps this is just a special case of the general problem of alternative worlds, which we have discussed on numerous occasions - but I'm bothered by the nature/existence/origins of Christianity in Chrestomanci's world. It seems to exist (i.e. they attend church in Charmed Life, and a standard C of E kind of affair it seems to be too), but how does Christianity fit into that world? In particular, the miracles in the Gospels will surely seem pretty humdrum from the point of view of a world where magic is commonplace, won't they? So, either magic only became commonplace later (which is unlikely, I think); or their Christianity and Bible are different from ours, at least in some respects; or there's a problem with DWJ's worldbuilding; or there's some other explanation I've missed.
Any thoughts?
Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: